Tuesday, August 9, 2011

We Lose Nothing

“If we let Christ into our lives we lose nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing that makes life free, beautiful, or great. Only in friendship with Christ is the great potential of human existence truly revealed … He takes away nothing, and He gives you everything”.

I heard this quote two weeks ago from a recent graduate of our family medicine program and instantly felt a draw towards its truth.

In many ways medicine can train in the art of self-promotion and self-preservation. It is no easy thing to remain selfless in our profession. Jesus shows us a better way: life is in giving and not taking. What we loose for him we always gain in the most wonderful ways.

Do my fellow residents feel frustrated, and even dismayed, and the sense of loss in choosing medicine? Lost opportunities with family, friends, life experiences, and maybe even just life itself, in exchange for a long course of medical training. The truth of Christ is that we never lose anything with Him. As the old poem of old says, Having Him, I must have naught beside.

In the midst of my busy month in obstetrics that I would seek to let Christ into the details of life - into my sign-outs; into my interaction with nurses; into my interactions with peers at happy hour. That Christ would dwell these details of life that seem so insignificant.

For days on end I get to work early and leave late at night. But during those times of spiritual fatigue, His joy is there to fill my soul. May we receive Him today. We are not alone in this journey. Even in residency.

No comments: